Friday, February 23, 2018

It is time to start Sweet Potatoes!


I am hoping to grow all of my own sweet potato plants this year. In the picture above, you can see four glass jars, filled with water, each with a sweet potato in it. Over the next few weeks, sweet potato "slips" will grow and when they are big enough, I will pull them off and put them in a jar of water.  They will grow roots and then in May, I can plant them outside.

I chose one of the purple sweet potatoes and three of the regular ones that have little sprouts growing out of them already.  You can see, in the pictures, the sweet little slips growing out.  I put them in the water just last night and the leaves are already starting to open!





As they grow, and I pull them off, they will grow more. I am looking forward to getting into the garden this Spring. I still have the kale out there and there are bunching onions and garlic growing a little.  

4 comments:

  1. Our sweet potatoes from the store never get sprouts on them, even if they get a bit old. Is the sprout what you are growing then putting in water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. They will grow and get leaves and when they are about 6 inches long, I pull them off and put them in water and then they grow roots, so they can be planted.

      Delete
  2. I have a sweet potatoe which was purchased at the grocery store, it got leaves pretty quickly, and now the sprouts are forming. Can these be planted in a pot or container rather a garden, to grow some taters? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely be worth a try. They don't like to get their feet wet, so do keep the soil moist, but not soggy. Give them as much sun as you are able. I hope it works out well for you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...