Saturday, May 6, 2017

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup!

The weather has been such, lately, that I have been able to forage a lot of oyster mushrooms.  I had two pounds of them in the refrigerator that I needed to use up, so here is what I did to make the Cream of Mushroom Soup.

The ingredients:


First, chop the mushrooms.


Next, melt 1/4 cup butter in a heavy skillet (mine is cast iron.)


Then stir and saute the mushrooms...


until they are tender and look like this:


There will still be some liquid in the pan. Next,
stir in the chicken broth and then the arrowroot 
powder in water (see recipe below.)


Keep stirring until it simmers and thickens.  Then,
stir in 1/2 cup evaporated milk, 1.5 teaspoons salt
and a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper.

Last, transfer the soup to a mixing bowl, and using
a stick blender, blend it nicely.


Voila!  You can also blend it in a regular blender or
a food processor, but the stick blender makes it
so very quick and easy!

Here is the recipe:

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

2 pounds cleaned mushrooms of your choice
1/4 cup butter
6 Tablespoon arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
1/2 cup water
3 cups broth (I used homemade chicken stock)
1/2 cup evaporated milk (or cream)

Chop the mushrooms and saute them in the butter until tender.

Add the broth and then the arrowroot mixed into the water.

Stir and bring to a simmer until thickened.

Add the salt, pepper and evaporated milk and combine well.

Pour the soup into a bowl and blend with a stick blender.

Enjoy!

This post is shared at THIS blog hop!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm that looks good! I'm not a mushroom forever but my husband will. It's morel season here so he'll check our woods. I'm not a mushroom fan...I love them cooked but the fungussy small of raw mushrooms bother me. I do make my own mushroom soup for tuna casserole, green bean casserole etc but I stock up on the cans of organic mushrooms when the are on sale. Those are from the US. I'm always leery of others. Even our own Pennsylvania Dutch mushrooms that used to come from right here are now from China.

    Do you ever forage for ramps? That's another popular item to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, ramps don't grow around here in southern Indiana. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad. That was always a good way to get the kids out of the house on a joint project...."You know I think it's time to look for ramps."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...