Wednesday, September 28, 2016

What to do with extra sourdough....


I don't wash out the jar I keep my sourdough starter in very often, but eventually, it becomes somewhat crunchy looking.  Here is what I like to do when I have extra sourdough starter.  I poured off the "hootch" that was in the jar (the dark liquid that accumulates after I neglect it for several days) and then dumped the remainder into a bowl.  After carefully washing the jar and lid, I added some water to it, because it was now too thick, and stirred that in and then took 1/3 cup of that and returned it to the clean jar.  Next, I added 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and about 1/3 cup water and stirred that altogether in the jar, put on the lid and returned it to the refrigerator.

What was left in the bowl was about 1.5 cups of leftover sourdough starter.  To that, I added:

1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
about 2 teaspoons of honey
2 Tablespoons melted butter

Then I stirred it all well.  In the meantime, I had my Belgian waffle-maker heating up.  When it was up to temperature, I baked the waffles by adding 1/2 cup of the batter each time.  On my iron, the device is heated enough when the light on the top goes out.  After adding the batter, the light will come back on and then turn off again when the waffle is done and I remove it and start another one.

Of course, this could also be made into pancakes!

These waffles are delicious and it is a good way NOT to waste that extra sourdough starter.

I serve them with butter and real maple syrup.


4 comments:

  1. I made pancakes from my extra sourdough once and they were so sour! But I stirred the hooch in, I won't next time, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that fixes it. The soda, of course, is what "sweetens" it. Let me know how it works out!

      Delete
  2. We had pancakes made from the pancake mix from the LDS pantry. I also used powdered egg and dehydrated strawberries. Sometimes I use dehydrated blueberries. Their pancake mix is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you have access to that! Yes, their products are very good quality. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...