Friday, January 1, 2016

Our New Year's Day Dinner


The Garden Fairy and I decided to try to make a southern style meal for our New Year's Day feast.  It worked out well and was delicious.  I made this pot of black eyed peas in my 6-quart pressure cooker!

Black Eyed Peas

1 pound dried black eyed peas, sorted, rinsed and soaked in lots of cold water at least overnight, and drained.
1/2 pound bacon - fried and crumbled
1/2 pound ham - diced
1 medium onion, chopped, and sauteed in the bacon grease and butter until it is a little brown.
1/4 cup butter
6 cups chicken stock

Prepare all of these ingredients and combine them in a 6-quart pressure cooker.  Put on the lid and petcock and bring up to pressure over medium heat.  Reduce heat so the petcock is rocking gently and allow to cook for 40 minutes.  Remove from heat and let the pressure release naturally.

Here are the soaked and drained peas:
The onion cooking in the butter and bacon grease:
Diced ham:
Everything together in the pressure cooker:
Finished soup!



Along with this we had corn bread, collard greens sauteed with bacon, and a wonderful pork butt roast that I cooked in my big Crockpot.

Oh, it was all so good.  I am very grateful for all of the good food and the blessings of family.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

2 comments:

  1. I'd say you did very well with a southern-style meal! I'm from the South, so I can say that. :) Have a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate that. :) Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...