Friday, April 3, 2015

Biscuits, again, with the new flour...


My last post was about substituting King Arthur Whole Wheat Pasty Flour for unbleached flour in my cornbread.  I was able to go to the bulk food store yesterday and buy some more of this flour.  I used it to make some baking powder biscuits for supper last night.  Success!!  The biscuits were tender and light and delicious.  Not only that, but I just heated one up that was left over and it is still yummy!  Usually, the next day, biscuits are nothing to write home about.

Here is the recipe I used:

BISCUITS - preheat oven to 500 F.

1.  Sift about 2 cups of King Arthur Whole Wheat Pastry flour onto your work surface.
2.  Gently (I use a long straight spatula) lift up the flour into a measuring cup.  Measure 2 cups of the sifted flour into your sifter (I use a wire strainer for this.)
3. To the flour, add 3/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1 Tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder. Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
4. Grate 1/3 cup COLD butter, a little at a time, into the flour mixture.  Mix it in lightly with your fingers as you go.
5. Pour in 3/4 cup cold whole milk or half-and-half.
6. Stir until moist.  You might have to add a tiny bit more milk or a tiny bit more sifted flour.
7. Turn dough onto floured work surface and knead 3 strokes.
8. Roll out 3/4 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter, placing the biscuits upside-down on your metal baking tray.
9. Bake at 500F for 8 minutes.

That's it!

Please let me know what you think if you make these.  I love them with butter and honey.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to get some whole wheat pastry flour, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that. I have King Arthur bread flour that I really like, but I've never tried whole wheat pastry flour.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...