Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Crock Pot Beef Short Ribs (and homemade bullion cubes)


These are SO good!  I have to share how I made them.

Crock Pot Beef Short Ribs

5 pounds beef short ribs
1 cup homemade beef broth
3/4 cup Tamari (that is soy sauce made with just soy, not wheat, but you could use other soy sauce)
1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, peeled
1 smallish onion, peeled and chopped
1 fresh apple, cored and chopped
1 Tablespoon honey

Broil the short ribs on a baking pan, under high heat and close to the broiler for 4 minutes on one side, then turn them over and cook for another 4 minutes.

Place the ribs in a crock pot.  

Combine the broth, Tamari, ginger, garlic, onion, apple and honey in a blender and puree.  Pour that over the ribs in the crock pot.  Put on the lid, plug it in and turn to low.  Cook for 7 - 8 hours.

Retrieve the ribs and place them on a platter to serve.

Here is what will be left in the Crock pot:


All that yummy, richly flavorful broth can't be thrown away!  So, what I do is freeze it in ice cube trays, pop the cubes into freezer bags and use them like bullion cubes...  They are nice to add to soup, sauces, gravy or even to dissolve into boiling water to drink.


Delicious and no MSG!!!

I am saving the bones for the next time I want to make stock.  They are in a freezer bag in the freezer.

Shared at Simple Lives Thursday #132

7 comments:

  1. these look so good, I don't believe I ever made short ribs...but they sure do look good. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great idea about using the leftover broth! You're seriously so creative. I love ribs. Yum....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you. Hurry on over. There are some left!

      Delete
  3. Those ribs are so good any way you cook them. Thanks for the recipe. Now I want some of that broth. You know in some places in Northern Mexico they serve you a small cup of beef broth before the meal. Add some chopped onion and cilantro and you are good to go.

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love ribs! I will have to make these!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...