Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Salsa Day!


See those?  That is my huge stainless colander filled with paste tomatoes from the garden.  Today was the day to make my year's supply of salsa for our bean burritos and for guacamole.  :D

Here is how I do it:  First, do not peel or do anything but wash the tomatoes.  Chop them up in a food processor.  You do NOT want to puree them, just get them chopped up.


 After I did them all, they fill a 2 gallon stainless pot about 2/3 full:


Next, I got 6 nice fresh Jalapeno peppers, cut off the stem ends and chopped them up too:


This is what they looked like:


Next, about 2 pounds of onions.  Cut off the ends and peel:

  

Cut them into chunks and then chop in the processor:


Three huge garlic cloves.  I weighed them for you, Gentle Reader, and it was 1.3 ounces.  Mince them in the processor too. This is not rocket science.  Do it however it pleases you!


Next come 4 little cans of Tomato Paste:


Also add 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar, and 3 teaspoons Sea Salt.  Here is everything in the pot:


Here it is all stirred together.  Isn't that wonderful??  ;)


So, then I gradually brought it to a simmer, stirring often, as it likes to erupt all over the place, and canned it in a water bath canner (consult your canning guide) processing it for 35 minutes in pints.  (45 minutes is required for quart jars.)  This yields 14 pints.  Yum.


You may eliminate or adjust the amount of Jalapenos, garlic and salt, but do NOT leave out the vinegar.  And of course, you may use some other kind of vinegar if you prefer.

I call this "Millenial Salsa" because I made it up in the year 2000.  Wow.  That was quite a while ago!

This post is linked at Fantabulous Friday #25 !

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I saw this earlier! I just made my first-ever attempt and while not bad it needed tweaking. I used lime juice (way too much) and no paste so it's a pretty runny mix. Live and learn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I miss all of the home canned stuff! Can I come home and mooch off of you?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...