Wednesday, August 15, 2012

13# of paste tomatoes = 1 gallon of pizza sauce

If you've been reading this blog for very long, you'll realize that I often make up recipes as I go along to fit the ingredients available.  

I had 13 pounds of paste tomatoes from the garden that I needed to use.  Pizza sauce was the answer!  I washed them and cut them in half and put them in a heavy-bottomed kettle.  

To that, I added:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup dried Italian seasoning
4 bay leaves
4 large garlic cloves, cut in half
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 pounds of onions, peeled and coarsely chopped

Here is all is together before cooking.

I brought it carefully to a boil and simmered it, with no lid, for 1 hour.  Then I put it through the Foley Food Mill:
 Here is all that was left:
 And here is what was produced!
 I have a 5 quart Crock Pot, so I put it in there and set the temperature on "low," left the cover off, placed a metal rack on top...
 And covered it with a cotton cloth to keep "things" out of it.
After 8 hours, it looked like this~
Altogether, it cooked for about 24 hours and had reduced to 1 gallon of sauce.  I processed it in 1/2 pint jars.  There are 16 of them:
We love pizza and soon I will show you how I make mozzarella cheese from our fresh goat milk!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...