Saturday, June 25, 2011

What Happened in the Onion Patch

A few weeks ago, I planted a lot of onion sets. A week or two later, my husband ran the rototiller through the garden, and that is very helpful, but it doesn't weed up close to the plants. I was out there a day or two later, dealing with weeds, and by the time I got to the onion patch I was tired, and decided that since the soil was all nicely loose and crumbly, I would just sort of "hill" the onions quickly ~ just use the hoe and draw some soil up around the onions to smother the weeds. It worked very well, however, I was concerned because I've read that onions like to have their shoulders exposed. I was back working in there today, and lo and behold! I was just able to very lightly, with my hands, pull that extra soil off and that killed the little weeds that had grown in the meantime. I hope you understand what I mean. It saved me lots of effort. I don't know what it will do to the harvest, but then, weeds competing with the vegetables for light, food and water is not very helpful either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...