Monday, May 9, 2011

It All Comes Together - TOMATO SOUP

My daughter invented this wonderful Tomato Soup and it is really excellent! In the throes of the usual "what shall I make for supper?" I decided to make her soup, but I used things I have on hand, many of which I have grown and preserved. At the end of this post you will find the complete recipe including the "tweaks" that I applied. In the meantime, here are the pictures.

1/2 cup of real butter melting in the 2 gallon stock pot:



Garlic cloves, being minced:



Egyptian onions taken to the chopping block:



Onion and garlic are sauteed in the melted butter:



Home canned tomatoes, chicken stock and goat milk:



Basil, home grown, chopped and stored in raw apple cider vinegar in the refrigerator since last summer:



Everything except the milk is in the pot and simmered for 1/2 hour with the lid on:



Add the milk and then blend the soup:



The soup is now in a 1/2 gallon jar in the refrigerator and I will reheat it for supper (and probably a lunch or two.)



TOMATO SOUP

1/2 cup real butter (I used salted)
1/4 pound cleaned and chopped Egyptian Onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 quart home canned tomatoes
1 pint chicken stock
1.5 cups canned goat milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 Tablespoons preserved basil
1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt

Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pan

Sautee the onions and garlic until soft

Add tomatoes, chicken stock, pepper, basil and salt. Simmer for 1/2 hour.

Add the goat milk and either using a stick blender or a stand blender, blend until smooth.

Serve. Makes about 1/2 gallon of soup. Like so many dishes, this is best the next day. It freezes well also.

I will serve this with "Erin's Muffins." This post is linked to Simple Lives Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that soup. The best tomato soup I've ever had. This morning I made the girls grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast. I normally make tomato soup to go with them if I make them for lunch or dinner, and Amelia knows that, so she told me, "I don't want soup!" She's gotten so picky lately. She used to love that soup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...