Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 1 - :)

Last night before I went to bed, in a saucepan, I put the following:

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
2 Tablespoons yogurt
2 cups water

I covered the pan and then this morning I added the following:

1/8 teaspoon RealSalt

Then I brought it to a boil, simmered and stirred for a little while until it was nice and thick and then served it up with:

butter
real maple syrup (from the maple syrup festival not far away!)
goat milk

YUM. My poor husband doesn't care for oatmeal, so I certainly don't make it every day, maybe once a week. But he does care for ME so he generally eats what I put in front of him.

This little post is hooked up with the Hearth and Soul Blog Hop!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE rolled oats,and the only one in my house who does. But I do not like yogurt, even though I have tried. This sounds great and a way to sneak in some yogurt.

    I'm going to try it...sounds delicious!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like oatmeal either but the kids love it. We add some unsweetened coconut flakes and chopped pecans while it soaks and then after it is done cooking we add some dried currents. I have two that would eat it for just about everymeal if I let them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcia, the reason I added the yogurt was to provide an acidic soak for the whole grain to deactivate the phytic acid, because it interferes with mineral absorption. Once it is cooked, of course, the yogurt culture is killed.

    Megan, your additions to the oatmeal sound SO nice. And if I added the nuts to the soak, that would eliminate the extra step of presoaking them. YUM. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, Husband doesn't care for oats. He grew up eating them almost every single day and that is his reason nowadays to avoid them. But for me, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea - I am having a DUH moment! I don't love oatmeal but I do like to eat it on occasion and so do my kids - I will have to try this! thanks for sharing this with us at the Hearth and Soul Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My boys would eat oats for most meals if I let them so I'll definitely have to give this a try...

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...