Saturday, January 1, 2011

Kefir - Chapter 11 - kefir cheese, revisited.









Here is an easier way to drain liquid kefir milk to make kefir "cheese." This product works well as a substitute for cream cheese or sour cream. I love it on a baked potato, as well as with some sweet fruit in a bowl, or spread on a cracker.

All I did was line a stainless steel strainer with an unbleached paper coffee filter, set it in a bowl to catch the whey, and poured in the kefir milk. Then I covered it with plastic wrap so it wouldn't dry out or end up with dust bits in it, and let it sit on the counter for about 24 hours - until it was as thick as I like. Then it goes into a covered container in the fridge. Voila!

This was much easier than doing a large batch in a cloth hanging bag. I think I will just make the smaller batches more often now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...