Friday, August 27, 2010

Report on Fermented Egyptian Onions

Do you remember my attempt to ferment Egyptian Onions? I promised to let you know how it turned out. This morning I opened the jar:



You can see the two rocks and the wild grape leaves in there:



And here are a few of the cute little fermented onions!



They are crunchy, mild and a nice little nibbly. I think I will save them and put them on the table for a special occassion. Or, if I can't resist, I might just nibble them away one at a time. Here is the conversation I had with my DH this morning:

DH ~ "What is that?"

Me ~ "This is the fermented Egyptian Onions I made a while back."

DH ~ "Are those rocks?"

Me ~ "Yep."

DH ~ "What is THAT?"

Me ~ "Wild grape leaves. I put them in there to hold the onions under the brine."

DH ~ "Oh."

Me ~ "Do you want to try one of the onions."

DH ~ "No."

Me ~ "Why?"

DH ~ "I'm going out in public."

Me ~ "A coward dies many times before his death..."

DH ~ "A brave man dies only once."

So.... a glimpse at life in my neck of the swamp. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard right now! I can just hear that conversation!

    Glad the onions turned out. I would try one if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny. It sounds like you and your husband enjoy each other and I am glad. My husband and I are enjoying each other even more as we go along on our new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we do and it gets better all the time. I'm glad you feel the same way, debbieo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...