Thursday, March 18, 2010

A new kind of meat loaf

A friend of mine raised 2 hogs last summer. She sold some of the meat to me, and I have a quantity of packages of just plain ground pork - not sausage. Today I decided to try to make a meatloaf from it, and it turned out quite delicious. Here is the recipe:

Oink Loaf

2 pounds ground pork
2 pieces of homemade whole wheat bread, processed into moist crumbs
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
several cranks of freshly ground pepper

I mixed all that together thoroughly before baking. Now, of course, it could be baked in the oven, but I was going to be gone part of the day, and so this is what I did:

I packed it into a 2.5 quart glass bowl and set it down into my large Crock pot. I put a salad plate on top of the pot and then a few scrubbed potatoes and carrots on top of the plate. I set the temperature to "high" and put on the lid. About 6 hours later, I got home and it was all ready and thoroughly cooked.

I removed the vegetables, the plate, and then carefully lifted the bowl out of the Crock pot and drained off most of the liquid fat. Then I turned the Oinkloaf upside-down onto some paper towels and let it cool for a while before cutting.

It was delicious!

7 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy! I have found that I like to use ground pork and just pork in general more than beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some ground pork once and didnt know what to do with it. This is nice to know. I made a meatloaf the other day and mixed ground beef and ground sausage. IT was really good.
    What a neat idea to put the loaf in a seperate bowl so you could cook the potatoes in the same crockpot.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a recipe for sausage seasoning to mix with ground pork and make my own sausage patties. That way there's no preservatives or things Brandon can't have in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Monica, Homemade sausage is one of the best things in the world! We make our own breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. Yum!

    I never knew you could make meatloaf in a crockpot! Awesome! I never make meatloaf because I can't stand waiting for it to cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can make almost anything in a crockpot. Just think of it as a tiny oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe!!! We just butchered pigs a couple months back. The family we did it with thought I was kinda wacky when I asked for packages of plain ground pork. I explained to them that I love to make meatballs with it. I mix the pork and ground turkey together for my meatball mixtures. I will definitely be using your oinkloaf recipe soon!!!! :D Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome and I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...