Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Worth Getting Up For!

I recently got a very nice sourdough starter and have been experimenting with it. Last night I decided to try sourdough pancakes. We just got done eating some of them. I have made hundreds of batches of pancakes since we got married, but these are truly the most delicious pancakes we've ever had!


Here is the batter this morning, ready to bake:


First 3 on the griddle:


They've been flipped over:


Here you can see how light they are!


There would have been more on this platter, but my husband was already eating!


Here is the recipe:

Sourdough Pancakes

The night before:

Put 1/2 cup of your sourdough starter into a large glass bowl. Add:

2 Tablespoons sugar
2 cups warm water
2 + cups of whole wheat flour - you want it to be like really thick cream. You can thin it down in the morning, but you can't add more flour, so it is better to err on the thick side at this point. I started with two cups of the whole wheat flour, and added more a little at a time until it seemed good. You don't want it to be STIFF, just sort of thick. Cover the bowl and let it sit at room temperature overnight.

The next morning when you are ready to make breakfast:

Uncover the bowl. It should be all bubbly. Take out 1/2 cup of the starter to save for next time. You can keep it in the fridge for up to a month, maybe, but you can also freeze it and let it sit out to thaw if need be.

Ok, so now add:

2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons extra-light olive oil
1 teaspoon baking soda

Mix it well, with a fork. If the batter is too thick, add a little more water, but be careful and then let it sit for 5 minutes while you heat up your griddle.

When I bake my pancakes, I use a pan spray between each batch I put on. But you can do them however works for you! It made 2 dozen pancakes.

My husband likes his with butter and pancakes syrup. I had some with butter and homemade apple butter. That was to die for!

7 comments:

  1. You always have such good information. I think I'd better send for some of that sour dough starter. Do they tell you how to use it?
    I also emailed for the bread info.
    I am thinking about doing a thing where we all take pictures of our kitchens. Then someday someone will look at them and say, oh look at those old time kitchens. lol
    Think about joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the sourdough does come with instructions and there is enough for more than one batch if for some reason it didn't work the first time. Also, their site has quite a bit of information.

    Oh, my.... I would be happy to share photos of my poor little kitchen. It is crammed full!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so light and fluffy. I'm going to have to try it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great recipe! I made these this morning. My husband and son loved them!a
    Thank you for such a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It only took me five years, but I finally made these this morning! They are soooo good! Eva, Amelia and I all love them. You can't even tell that they are sourdough, you don't taste it at all. Super fluffy. These will be a staple now. My batch made 13 pancakes, I figured out they are 125 calories each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you all like them! Thanks for the calorie tip. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...