Sunday, January 3, 2010

Easy Sunday Chicken Dinner

Do you know why having chicken on Sunday became a common tradition? It is because in my parents' generation, chickens were expensive. There were no factory farms like today. So, chicken was considered to be a fancy meal. My sweet mother always made us fried chicken, mashed potatoes, milk gravy, green beans and salad for Sunday dinner. It was the BEST ever! (Wow I miss her.) So, since I try not to do more work than I need to on Sunday, this is how I sometimes fix chicken for our mid-day meal:

In a cast iron dutch oven, place a whole frozen chicken. Sprinkle it with salt, a little pepper and dried basil. Peel a whole onion and cut it in half and lay it on the chicken. Scrub a few potatoes and put them in there along with some peeled carrots. Put on the lid and place in the oven. Turn it up to 325 degrees F. and let it cook for 4 hours. If you put it in at 8 a.m., it will be ready by 12. We usually get home about 12:30 and so it is ready and waiting for us. If you have to put it in much earlier, set the temp at 300 F. instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...